In this report, we analyze how the choices available to consumers have changed over time as efficiency standards have taken effect for ten residential, commercial, and lighting products by addressing three questions:
- How has performance changed?
- How have features changed?
- How have prices changed?
By addressing these questions with the best available data, our goal is to provide a better understanding of how the choices available to consumers have changed over time as efficiency standards have taken effect. We found that as products have become more efficient:
- Performance generally stayed the same or improved;
- Manufacturers offered new features to consumers; and
- Prices declined or stayed the same for five of the nine products for which we could obtain price data, and for the other four products, observed price increases are outweighed by electricity bill savings.
To learn more about the study, read the: